- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery, stalks and leaves
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 12 bread, cubes
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat melt the butter, then sauté the onion and celery (and mushroom, if using) until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and sage and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place the bread cubes into a large, deep bowl
- Pour 1/4 cup of the butter/celery mixture over the cubes and toss well, then repeat steps until all of the butter mixture is used.
- Toss the cubes thoroughly to coat.
- (Regarding the optional Chicken broth: for dry stuffing, add little or no liquid; for moist stuffing mix in lightly with fork just enough chicken broth to moisten dry crumbs.) Let cool and used as stuffing for the turkey.