- One quart of milk
- Sugar (to taste)
- A piece of vanilla bean
- 5 eggs (well beaten)
- Put the milk into a pot and place it over a fire allowing it to boil.
- Take the pot off the fire for three or four minutes.
- Beat the five eggs in a bowl.
- Add the five well beaten eggs gradually to the milk.
- Put caramel into a mold and place the mold in a bain-Marie (double saucepan).
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the mold.
- Place the bain-Marie in the oven for twenty minutes.
- Take the bain-Marie out of the oven and let it cool in the ice box (freezer).
- Serve when wanted,
— Leonie Penin
Source — Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Jonathan Culp
July 11, 2017