- Salt Codfish
- 3-4 Sweet peppers
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Spoonfuls of sweet oil
- 2 Onions
- 1 Piece of garlic
- 4 Fresh tomatoes
- Half a cup of bouillon (similar to shrimp broth)
- Teaspoon of flour
- 12 Irish potatoes
- Bread crumbs
- Take your codfish and simmer it on a low fire, let it drip dry, and then cut it into pieces.
- Skin 3-4 large sweet peppers, cut them lengthwise, salt and pepper them, and then place them in the oven.
- Put two spoonfuls of sweet oil in a frying pan.
- Chop up the two onions, garlic, parsley, and four tomatoes.
- Place your recently chopped ingredients from step 4 into the frying pan and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the half cup of bouillon in which you dissolve a teaspoon of flour and let this all cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the parsley from the dish.
- Boil the 12 Irish potatoes, then peel and slice them.
- Line the bottom of the serving dish with the potato slices and top with pieces of codfish, slices of sweet pepper, tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of bread crumbs.
- Place this dish in the oven and cook for 35 minutes.
Source - Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Jonathan Culp
July 11, 2017