- 1 pint stale bread crumbs
- 1 quart of milk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs (leave one white out for the meringue)
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Preserves &
- Mix together 1 pint of stale bread crumbs, 1 quart of milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, 3 eggs with one white left out for meringue, and the grated rind of 1 lemon for flavor.
- Bake the pudding until completely done.
- To check, stick the handle of a teaspoon in the pudding. The pudding will be completely cooked if you pull out the teaspoon and nothing is on it.
- Cover the pudding with your choice of preserves.
- Whip together the 1 egg white and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Spread meringue on top of the preserves on the pudding.
- Put in the oven until it is lightly browned.
Source —Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Kirsten Smith
July 12, 2017