- Sweet milk
- Spoonful of powdered cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- Brown sugar
- Stale bread
- Powdered sugar
- Set out 3 pie plates.
- Put some sweet milk and a spoonful of powdered cinnamon in the 1st pie plate.
- Beat 4 eggs and pout into the 2nd pie plate.
- Pour some brown sugar into the 3rd pie plate.
- Cut the stale bread into slices.
- Dip the slices of stale bread first into the milk and cinnamon, then into the eggs, and then roll them in the brown sugar.
- Fry the slices in butter until brown. (Only cook 3 slices at a time)
- Put those that have cooked onto a hot plate. Keeping them hot.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the bread slices.
- Serve with a wine sauce.
Source — Cooking in Old Creole Days.
Prepared by Kirsten Smith
July 12, 2017