- One medium sized chicken
- Other vegetables
- Prepare one medium sized chicken.
- First you will need to singe the chicken to help remove the feathers.
- To singe the chicken you will need to place the chicken into a large cooking pot with boiling water for only half a minute.
- Pluck out the feathers.
- Cut on the back of the chickens neck making long enough to gut. (Drawing)
- Clean and rinse off the chicken to prepare it to be cooked.
- Put the chicken whole into a casserole dish.
- Add a good lump of butter, some onion, and salt and pepper all over the chicken.
- Steam the chicken gently for 2 hours on the top range.
- Add in mushrooms and other preferred vegetables to your chicken and cook until brown.
- Serve hot.
— Lizzie Tomney.
Source — Cooking in Old Creole Days.
Prepared by Kirsten Smith
July 12, 2017