- 4 loaves of bread
- 3 quarts of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lard
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Small yeast cake
- Dissolve in hot water 3 quarts of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1 tablespoon of lard.
- Put 3/4 cup of milk and a small yeast cake and soak it for half an hour in 1 tablespoon of tepid water.
- Stir all together until the spoon you stir with can stand straight up.
- Let it rise over night.
- Knead out the yeast and put it in the pan half full so it can rise. It will rise to the edge in an hour or so.
- Bake in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour and a half.
Source — Cooking in Old Créole Days
Prepared by Brooke Lolley
July 12, 2017