- 2 Gallons of water
- Ham Bone
- 3 Onions
- 1 Can of Tomatoes
- Black Pepper
- 3 lbs of Rump of Beef
- 2 eggs
- Sherry Wine
- In a pot, add water and ham bone.
- Chop up carrots, onion and celery and add into pot.
- Add the can of tomatoes.
- Add salt and black pepper for taste.
- Cover pot and allow to boil overnight at low temperature.
- Stain bouillon into a large bowl and carefully remove grease.
- Chop rump of beef into dice size chunks and add into clean pot.
- Break two eggs over rump of beef and stir freely.
- Add in celery and salt and pepper.
- Pour stained bouillon from larger bowl on top.
- Stir until froth rises. Skim off froth very carefully.
- Serve with chervil on top and a glass of good sherry in soup according to taste.
— Cook, born in James Madison's family.