- Two quarts of tomatoes, hot water
- One cucumber, peeled and cut small, one large onion sliced
- One dozen sliced okras
- Five cents marrowbone, flour wet with water
- Seasoning salt, cayenne and three pats of butter.
- Wash two quarts of tomatoes, and set over the fire in three pints of water.
- Cook ten minutes, and drain, saving the water for the soup.
- Press the tomatoes through a sieve
- Add to them one cucumber, peeled and cut small, one large onion sliced, one dozen sliced okras, a five cent marrowbone.
- Drain water from the tomatoes and simmer for three hours.
- Just before sending to table thicken with a tablespoonful of flour wet with cold water.
- Season with salt, cayenne and three pats of butter.
- Ready for serve delicious southern tomato soup.
Source - Cooking In Old Creole Days
Prepared by Anuj Bhandari
January 6, 2015