- 36 full grown cucumbers
- 64 oz of white onion
- 3/4 lb of brown sugar
- 1/2 pint of olive oil
- 1/2 lb mustard seed
- 3/4 lb mustard seeds
- 3/4 lb ground black pepper
- 64 oz boiling vinegar
- Pare and slice the cucumbers thin
- Pare and slice the white onion very thin
- Mix about one pint of salt through (cucumber-onion) mix.
- Spread the (cucumber-onion) mix and let it drain for six to eight hours
- Squeeze the (cucumber-onion) mix perfectly dry
- Add the brown sugar, olive oil, mustard seed ground black pepper, boiling vinegar into a large bowl
- Add the (cucumber-onion) mix into the bowl
- Mix it thoroughly
- Put the new mix in small jars.
- If needed, cover it with cold vinegar while adding a little olive oil on top of each jar.
- Make sure the lid of the jar is tight.
Source - Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Sudeep Uprety