- One pound of Barilla elbow macaroni,
- One pint of cream,
- One tablespoon of mustard,
- One teaspoon of salt,
- Four ounces of grated parmesan cheese,
- One half stick of butter,
- One fourth cup of bread crumbs,
- One white onion,
- Bring two quarts of cold water, macaroni, and onion to a boil.
- Once macaroni is tender drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add cream, parmesan cheese, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and butter to a saucepan.
- Bring ingredients to a boil over medium heat for approximately four minutes.
- Add cooked macaroni to contents and cook over low heat for a few minutes.
- Next empty macaroni into a deep baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and parmesan mixture over macaroni dish evenly and bake for one hour.
- Place bread crumbs in a separate container
- Add parmesan cheese and stir gently
— Mrs. Phillips (Dr. Arnold's Recipe).
Source — Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Christina Ross
January 12, 2015