- Take a roast beef, as desired pound.
- Salt and pepper, flour, small pieces of bacon.
- Small pieces of onion, carrot, meat juice or bouillon.
- Bouillon, hot water.
- Wipe well roast beef with a clean cloth, add salt, pepper and flour it.
- Put small pieces of bacon, small pieces of onion, cut carrots in two.
- Put in the roast pan adding two tablespoonfuls meat juice or bouillon.
- Water is good to wash with, but not to flavor meats with.
- Cook it by a good fire a quarter of an hour for every pound of meat.
- Baste it with the drippings, and watch it carefully.
Source - Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Anuj Bhandari
January 5, 2015