- One cupful raw salt fish
- One pint potatoes
- One egg well beaten
- Quarter salt spoonful pepper( add more salt if needed)
- One teaspoonful of butter
- Wash the fish , pick in half inch pieces and free from bones
- Pare potatoes and cut in quarters.
- Put potatoes and fish in stewpan and cover with boiling water.
- Boil until potatoes are soft. (around twenty-five minutes)
- Do not allow potatoes to get soggy
- Drain off all water, mash and beat until very light.
- Add salt and butter, when slightly cooled the eggs
- Add more salt if needed
- Shape them without smoothing much
- Slip off into frying hot lard one minute and fry only five at a time
- To get delicious taste, serve warm.
Source - Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by: Anuj Bhandari
January 5th, 2015