- 2 spoonfuls of butter
- 1 cup of barley
- 2 quarts of beef broth
- salt (to taste)
- 1 stalk of chopped celery
- 1 glass of sweet cream
- 6 egg yolks
- Melt one heaping spoonful of fresh butter in a frying pan.
- Add 1 cup of barley and let brown.
- Add 2 quarts of beef broth.
- Let simmer two hours on low heat.
- Add chopped celery and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine 1 glass of sweet cream, 6 egg yolks, and a heaping spoonful of fresh butter.
- Add to previous mixture and serve hot.
Source - Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by William A. Ortego
March 2, 2015