- Half a loaf of stale bread
- Milk (as much as you would put for a bread pudding)
- Three heaping spoonfuls of brown sugar
- Two heaping spoonfuls of powdered cinnamon
- Few stoned raisins
- Stiff sugar
- Butter sauce
- Take about half a loaf of stale bread. Let it soak in nice milk for several hours.
- Add a little cream to it.
- Put in three heaping spoonfuls of brown sugar, two heaping spoonfuls of powdered cinnamon, a few stoned raisins.
- Cook in the oven with a slow fire until it looks like an old monkey.
- Serve with a stiff sugar and butter sauce, flavored with a little wine.
Source - Cooking in Old Creole Days
Prepared by Morgan Payne
November 10, 2014